Saturday, November 10, 2007

The 'Emergency' Talking Points...

One thing that I noticed before the election, and since the election, is what I call the emergency talking points being used by various folks in the media and in community groups.

For example, we all saw things like Kingman should not max out it's current bonding capacity in the case of an emergency. Now I'm not sure what level of emergency any of these folks were talking about. It couldn't be on the level of some major catastrophe could it?? I mean if it was, wouldn't the state Governor and the federal government come to the aid of our fair city??

I seriously doubt that something drastic hits Kingman in say the month of March and in response the city puts together a bond measure, produces cute pamphlets, and holds an election in the following November where the majority of voters who normally vote in Kingman tend to turn down things like bonds. Now maybe there is a way to fast track a bond measure election in the case of a disaster, I don't know, but honestly the talking points that I've seen used don't make a whole heck of a lot sense to me.

I believe that we already uncovered the real reasons that these bonds that failed last week were fought against with such fever. I hope others have the guts to see it the same way.

No comments: