Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Election Day coverage...

Okay folks, this is it. I plan on covering today's election on this post throughout the day. I plan on talking to folks at the polling place where I will cast my own vote later today. I'm also trying to find out when and where the results of today's action will be posted so that I can bring you the results as quickly as possible. Might be a long day.

Please set aside some time today to vote if you haven't voted already. Good luck to everyone.

Update #1

I voted. The process was quick and painless. Wish there were more folks there.

Update #2

There are 14,124 registered voters for this election. I think things will go well if half the registered voters show up. No predictions though.

Update #3

I just spent the 4:00pm hour at the District #4 polling place doing some informal exit polling. Now let me say that in no way do I believe that I just took a scientific poll. I'm not even going to say that what I'm about to share should be taken with a grain of salt... I doubt the very small sample I took will reflect anything close to the results.

However, it was fun to hear some folks share the reasons as to why they voted the way they did.

Based on the data I collected, both Propositions look like they have good support, the sample revealed a 2 to 1 margin in favor of both Prop 300 and 301 passing.

The bond issues are split. Very tight from my sample, practically 50/50. Of the bonds, only the public safety issue has shown favor with the folks that responded to the polling... but again it appears that the bond issues will be hotly contested.

Similarly to the propositions, the poll respondents are giving authorization to the city to sell the 168 acres by a 2 to 1 margin from the sample.

Many of the responses have offered both yes and no to the various ballot issues. However, just looking at straight ticket responses, those that responded to a straight ticket 'YES' are outnumbering the straight ticket 'NO' by 2 to 1.

Once again, I only took one hour's worth of time in gathering the data. Not everyone that was approached agreed to take part in the poll. Not everyone that exited the polling place was approached.

No matter what side of the issue you are on, please do not take the data I just shared with you for anything other than entertainment.

Speaking of entertainment... I also asked the following question and offered some choices; 'What factor most influenced your vote?' These were the answer options; 'local media coverage', 'campaign signs', 'local community groups', 'information provided by the city', and 'other'.

By far and away the most popular response was the local media coverage. A couple of respondents made a point to say that they were tired of the negative local media and even mentioned which media outlet that was. I'll let you guess.

As for the campaign signs posted by a local developer and whoever 'we' is, only a couple folks checked that box. Interesting comment made by one though, that person said that the signs made the decision to vote 'YES' on a straight ticket easy. I won't repeat some of the other things the person said.

There were also favorable responses on the 'YES' straight ticket that chose the city information as the influencing factor. The city trailed only 'other' in the responses.

My data also showed no response to local community groups having influence. I was asked if I was part of a community group and I answered that I was a Realtor.

Anyway, it is almost closing time for the polls. I'm going to try and bring you the results of the election as I get them. Might be a long evening. See you soon.

Update #4

All issues defeated by voters... it wasn't even close.

See link for more info on the results.

Good night Kingman.

No comments: