Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The First Step

The city council meeting began at 6:00 pm and ended with the city council approving the modification of land use of 159.8 acres of the 176.0 acres located south of I-40 from "Parks/Open Space" to "Regional Commercial". Twenty persons spoke either for or against the change. I tried to put my personal feelings aside (I am pro-growth and am for Kingman Crossing) and really listen to all parties and what they had to say because that is what I would like those who do not agree with me to do. After listening to all parties, what I came away with understanding is that this was indeed the first step. The first step to utilize this land for its highest and best purposes. Whether a person is pro or anti-growth, whether they are for or against the Kingman Crossing project I feel that all parties must see the wisdom of taking this first step for the betterment of Kingman and for all citizens. I don't know if all parties came away feeling the way I did as I did hear the word 'referendum' several times on the way out the door. There will obviously be a lot more work to do and it is true that a lot of questions need to be addressed and I believe that if last night was any indicator of what may lie in the future we can all rest assured that each and every question will be addressed.

I was impressed with the realtor turn out and with the support they showed Rita Zumwalt, KGVAR President. It is a good feeling for me to know that I belong to an organization that can pull together and really 'stand up' when needed.

No comments: