Monday, May 21, 2007

About the new disclaimer...

I feel compelled to include the disclaimer on the top of the sidebar on there here blog of mine to hopefully help folks understand the difference between Todd the blogger, real estate practitioner, & concerned citizen, and Todd the Member of KGVAR.

I've spent more than half my time as a real estate agent in a leadership position at KGVAR (4 years out of 6, including president in 2006). I'm in my third year serving on the Arizona Association of Realtors Professional Standards Committee. I will be serving as Regional Vice President on behalf of my region on the Arizona Association of Realtor executive committee. I serve on other committee's and board's as well and if I have learned one thing it is this...

As a leader you are one voice and one vote, not a dictator. There have been many occasions where I have not agreed with other leaders on issues and called for a vote and lost my position on that particular issue. I'm sure there will be many more occasions just like this going forward in my dealings as a volunteer leader in the various associations I am a member of.

Win or lose a vote on a committee or board, I do believe it is still prudent for an individual to maintain their own point of view... and share that point of view if they so wish. It is also prudent to support the will of the board or however a leadership team is comprised on the very issue that a person may have been in opposition of. Not to pat myself on the back or anything but I am VERY good at this in my roles on committee's and board's I serve on.

The disclaimer has become necessary now because of a local group's insistence that when I post an article here on this blog... it means that I am speaking on behalf of all Members of KGVAR... which is not the case and never has been the case and never will be the case.

Here at MOCO Real I'm in total control of the content. I'm free to say whatever it is I want to say. Usually a couple of times a day I do just that, I say what is on my mind.

This is (sadly for me) not the case when I involve myself say on the Government Affairs Committee at KGVAR. There I must adhere to the majority opinion even if it actually is not something I might agree with. If by chance that committee comes up with something they'd like to take action on the committee must wait until the KGVAR Board of Directors approves it. It is hardly a dictatorship.

I know when and where to wear my KGVAR hat, and I never wear it here. I do speak about some issues at the Association level, but I make no policy that ALL other Members must adhere to from behind this old keyboard. It just doesn't work like that.

Anyway, the disclaimer is now in effect.

No comments: