Thursday, October 11, 2007

Yesterday

I was out with a friend yesterday. We'll call her 'jane'. She graduated from KHS and so did her husband who she has two beautiful children with. She is a homeowner and 'certified' soccer mom. Her husband has worked at the same job for over 10 years and she is self-employed. Sounds like the average American family doesn't it. I just wanted to give a little backround on jane so that readers can kind of know who the person is I was having a conversation with. Janes circumstances are such that here in the near future she may wish to place her home on the market and then purchase a larger home. Consequently, we have been talking about the market, which by the way I think is steadily improving, locally especially.

Jane and I see each other every few weeks and we catch up on what is going on in each others lives; we also, because of my profession, talk about real estate inventory levels and economics and of course the upcoming elections and how they will effect Kingmans growth and direction.
Then just before I left, out of the blue, jane brought up a topic we have never talked about before. Jane asked me if I had read the most recent article by the editor of the Kingman Daily Miner. Jane went on to say, 'why does our paper always try to paint 'us' as dim witted hicks?' 'In fact, the Miner prints a lot of negative articles--have you been noticing that?" You know what....it's true. Now as I said, I was leaving so I didn't talk to her about it much, but I did agree with her and encouraged her to contact the author and tell him how she felt.

I agree with both Todd and Monica all of us have a duty as a citizen of our community to assist in those endeavors which are positive for our community in moving forward and to create solutions to those situations which are counter productive. I truly believe that there are quite of few of us who do just that.

Kingman has been a great place for me and my family. I remember going to the Mohave Community Orchestra before Christmas and watching my daughter play Handel. I have seen my other daughter sing Christmas carols on the court house steps. The girls and I had an entry in one of the first 'Flaming Bed Races' held on Beale street sponsered by one of Kingmans long time residents and business owner. That's just a little of what my children and I have been able to be involved in by living in Kingman. In fact, have you noticed, there is something going on in Kingman almost every weekend of the month whether it is an art festival, book signing, parade, fair, auto show or........the list goes on.

I've come to a conclusion. I think those that constantly have negative things to say about our community are really people to be pitied. I doubt they could be happy in any community. In fact, I bet they are just miserable people no matter what is going on. There is always two ways to look at the things going on around you. There's either great things to support or opportunities to make things better! Go Todd, go Monica!

No comments: