Friday, October 12, 2007

2007 AAR Leadership Conference wrap up...

Last night marked only the second night I was able to sleep in my bed (really the couch with the TV on) in my home in Kingman this month. First there was that new Minnesota episode feature added to my life, and then after getting back to Kingman... I was off once again to Phoenix for a couple of nights.

I was in Phoenix for the Arizona Association of Realtors annual leadership conference. This event was either the fifth or sixth time for me to attend (I've honestly lost count). Once again though, the event this year outdid the previous... as it always seems to be year in and year out.

It is a complete honor for me to be in a large room with many other local Realtor Association leaders. Over the time I've been involved, some of the faces have changed, but I'm happy to say that I've made some great connections with other long time leaders throughout the state at events like this. It is great to see the same look in those people's eyes talking about their own Associations as I must have when I do the same. The experience is unique and fulfilling.

The Wednesday morning session started with a presentation by Jim Manke of Association Solutions Inc. His firm lends a hand to various types of trade organizations and Associations, obviously including Realtor Associations. The presentation was simple yet extremely effective to me. It was a 'nuts and bolts' type of discussion on what Association Board leaders could consider in making the Association more effective for the Membership.

Topics included; smart moves for successful Associations, evaluating the performance of the Board, evaluating Board meetings (a biggie for me and wish I saw this presentation before I was president of KGVAR in 2006), maximizing the value of the staff/leadership partnership, and some traits of powerful leadership.

What I found most interesting of all was a discussion about the differences in generations (the Baby Boomers, Gen-X'ers, etc.). The presentation was thought provoking for me personally as well as helpful in considering the next wave of home buyers and future Realtor Members in the not too distant future of the folks born into the 'Millennial Generation'. Talk about changes... we ain't seen nothing yet. Those folks will surely learn from mistakes in the past, the will be very realistic and more careful with many aspects of their lives than those that came from previous generations.

Attendees were later given a choice to attend other breakout sessions on various subjects. I chose to attend a presentation on the importance of Association involvement in local government issues. The presenter was Tom Augherton of AAR (a former mayor of Cave Creek Arizona). I have been lucky to have Tom's help all throughout this year as KGVAR's Government Affairs Committee Chair... he is practically at the top of my speed dial list at this point with the many issues our committee is involved in locally.

Tom acknowledged and even praised some of the efforts of our local committee in his presentation. He sort of 'name-dropped' us because of the progress we have made in our first year as a fledgling group.

It is amazing all of the different issues that are facing the 21 local Associations in Arizona, yet there are also underlying common issues (real estate transfer taxes, growth, and of course water issues).

I then attended an update on AAR's plan to offer each Member in the state a transaction management program. I do not know all the details of how the transaction management program will work, but it will greatly impact our business in a positive way. Look for this to be implemented in the new year and I will of course have more information on this as the time gets closer. In essence, this program will offer brokers, agents, and most importantly clients the opportunity for improved service and accuracy in a transaction... it will probably save a few forest's worth of paper as well.

The last bit that I'll bore you with is that on Wednesday night I was installed as the new Region One Vice President to the Executive Committee for 2008. It is an honor to continue representing the great Members from our area for the next two years. I'll also be representing Members from the Bullhead City, Lake Havasu, La Paz, and Yuma Associations on their behalf at the state level. And remember when I talked about generations a bit earlier... I just might be the first person from my generation to hold this kind of position at the state Association from our area. I'm really looking forward to being part of the solution and I can't thank the great folks from our State Association, as well as friends and mentors here in the local area, for helping me get to this point.


A bad quality photo of me during the installation ceremony on Wednesday night.

No comments: