Friday, July 27, 2007

Ultimate


There was a game I used to play back in my high school days in a physical education course I took called 'New Games'. The game is Ultimate.

I have to admit a couple of things about the New Games class. First, my classmates were mostly non-athletic types looking for an alternative for the regular phys. ed. course. There was no need to run a mile in a certain time to make a grade or anything else like that. I was athletic in high school and probably shouldn't have been in that class, but I do like playing games instead of just doing push ups and running four laps around a track. I honestly dominated in many of the games the teacher had us play. 'New Games' were 'new' to most of my fellow classmates... even games like basketball and floor hockey. In that class I was Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky and I loved every second of it.

Another admission and motivation for taking that course was the fact that I had a bit of a crush on a girl that I knew was going to be in the class. I was more sly and clever back in those days.

Back to Ultimate. It is a game that is played with a frisbee and it is a cross between football and soccer. There is a lot of fast running involved and there is not supposed to be physical contact between players. Here is a little more about the game. Here are the rules of the game.

At this time I do not think there is an organized league for such a game in Kingman. I guess I'm looking for more activities to be involved in... especially ones that could help me get back into some semblance of shape. I remember this game being loads of fun and it was even a favorite of the kids in New Games... who wouldn't normally play games like this.

I know that most that come to this blog are looking for real estate news and political stuff mostly, but if you have an interest in perhaps spreading this around in a effort to form a regular activity please contact me. I'd love to see this kind of activity get started around here.

No comments: