Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Wow!!

I went to a City Council meeting last night... and a hockey game almost broke out.

I did have trouble deciding whether or not I wanted to head to the city meeting last night instead of watching the real hockey game on live TV last night. Seriously, I almost saw two hockey games. In fact I saw more snarl at City Council than I did on the actual hockey game.

There is no way I can accurately describe what happened... as soon as the video link to that meeting is available on the city website I guarantee I will link it right here.

Here is a recap of what I saw, and I am leaving names out of the heated exchanges.

First, I arrived at 5:35pm for the 6:00pm meeting and our way too small council chambers was more than half full already. I took a seat and hoped I would be able to save my wife a spot, but within 10 minutes after I arrived it was standing room only. Also, somebody forgot to turn on the air conditioner (or it is not working, or it does not work well enough), with all the bodies in the room it didn't take much to sweat.

After the invocation and Pledge of Allegiance a citizens award was given out to a nice man that has been working the food bank in this area for a long time. Mr. Cecil Groves was given the Western Arizona Council of Government 'Heart in Hand' award. It was THE high point of the night and Mr. Groves received a standing ovation for the recognition.

Then two speakers were given time during the Call to the Public portion of the agenda. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the two gentleman that spoke, both pleaded with the Council to make some drastic changes at the city complex... personnel changes involving a certain city manager. No real fireworks here though, that was saved for later.

It was obvious that most in attendance were there to witness the Council's decision regarding the city owned well sites that happen to be located -- make that -- surrounded by the proposed development by Rhodes Homes in Golden Valley. Here is a link that can get you caught up on this issue.

On the agenda, the city staff recommended to reject all bids that were made. Apparently the city didn't fully comply with Arizona state law by not advertising the sale of the well sites for the required time. It really could have ended there (the issue, the meeting, all of it) it was easy to see the writing on the wall and the easy way out for the City Council. Yet... the hockey game was just about to start.

You really have to see the video if you weren't there to get the full effect. There were accusations of lying, accusations against city staff and Council Members, and even the word 'ass' was tossed in the direction of a certain city politician in the heat of the moment.

Bottom line, City Council decided to throw out all bids for the well sites. No further word if they will have another bidding process or not... and it did not sound like Council was all that hyped for another one anytime soon.

The room cooled off as nearly half the attendees left after this issue.

As for the real hockey game... not as exciting. The Ducks won the game and if they win one more game they will be Stanley Cup Champions.

No comments: