Saturday, June 23, 2007

Oh Really??

In yesterday's Kingman Daily Miner, Nick Wilbur wrote a very interesting column.

Read that here.

I'm a little put off by a comment made by one of the current City Council members and wish to retort in my own little way...

Deering made another valid point in our conversation.

"There's a big difference between the general public and the group that met" Monday to rail against local officials, Deering said. The critics, besides members of RAID, Deering said, mostly make up members of the real estate and development industries who've seen a major hit since the economy slowed. They have pocketbook interests, and that leads one to believe they might not be as sincere as they appear to be in their claims of simply wanting the best for Kingman.

"The problem is our economy. We were in a boom, and now we're in a bust. I'd be the same way if my business was ... if I didn't know if I would be able to go on," Deering said.




Not sincere?? Oh really?? My emphasis btw.

I'm not a developer and can't speak on their behalf and won't attempt to.

I've been very interested in recent years with City of Kingman business. Partly due to my duties as a leader in the REALTOR Association, but the interest has spread beyond what is good for the Membership I represented as president last year. I applied to be considered for the Kingman Planning & Zoning Commission. I helped lead a charge to protect private property rights at the county level. I supported a major amendment to the already outdated Kingman General Plan. My interest has always been for a better Kingman to call home. It is no secret I support growth... in a region of the country that will undoubtedly grow for the rest of my life. I feel compelled to be a part of the present and the future of this community.

My Kingman Crossing interest started in earnest here. June of 2006. If you read it you will still see the very same themes I tout to this day; traffic improvement, jobs, additional city sales tax collection. What you won't find is me saying I support this because it will keep me in business. I'll determine that outcome on my own, boom or bust.

It is no secret that this councilman has been against this kind of project from the beginning. Meanwhile, jobs are leaving the area and other businesses are closing shop, on his watch.

But thanks Mr. Deering for questioning my sincerity. I hope I get the opportunity to prove my sincerity to you. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to sit on the same panel as you if the good voters of this town allow me. I know what it takes to be a leader, you haven't shown me anything that says you do.

Mr. Deering how sincere are you about not only keeping jobs in Kingman but attracting new and better jobs??

I'm one who is led to believe that you may not appear to be as sincere in your claims that you want what is best for Kingman.

No comments: