Saturday, June 20, 2009

Don't need lights while hiding in a shell...

My Dad used to raise his voice at me when I left the hall light on. No... not quite the Fathers Day tribute for my pops or anything, but it was one of the first things that hit me when I read this...

2 towns turning off street lights to save money

Associated Press - June 20, 2009 10:45 AM ET

RINDGE, N.H. (AP) - Officials in two New Hampshire towns are turning off some street lights to save money.

Pink ribbons on 16 utility poles around Rindge mark the lights that will go dark. In Jaffrey, selectmen last week approved shutting off 70 streetlights as a way to cut back on utility costs. The town also will convert to lower-energy bulbs in the lights that are staying on.

Officials in both towns tell The Keene Sentinel they expect to turn the lights off by early next month.

Jaffrey plans to review the decision in six months to make sure they haven't created any safety hazards.

The other thing that hit me when I read the above is that this is what it probably looks like when the advice of hiding in a shell wins the day.

Might need to drum up an economic development post in the days ahead, where lights (and other services) aren't as threatened.

No comments: