Thursday, May 08, 2008

Speaking of stuff in the Miner...

There is an interesting letter to the editor that appeared yesterday.

Before I share... I just wanted to say that I have been trying my darndest not to write anything about the community group RAID for some time. I've had the pleasure of meeting with some of the people that are in that group and I've come to respect them as individuals... I just find myself disagreeing with them on issues. So I'm not including this to 'blast' RAID... this is just something I wanted to share with readers.

Here is the entire letter... but I ask you to click on this link to read the comments below the letter.

Have you seen the new shopping center in Bullhead City, Fort Mohave and Lake Havasu City? The giant malls that provide jobs and sales tax dollars? Stores like Kohl do and Target in Fort Mohave.

Residents Against Irresponsible Development (RAID), or as I like to call them, Kingman Residents Against Progress (KRAP) is doing everything possible to kill this city and turn it into a clone, like Needles or Holbrook. They are consistently against every growth-related issue that comes before the City Council. Their name says "responsible growth." They have shown themselves to be consistent against any kind of growth by their actions. More and more letters like Bridget's Yankowitz's need to pour into the Miner. Who cares about the Beverly intersection when this organization is doing everything it can to kill the future of this city. This group is a vocal minority of elderly people who have no stake in the future of Kingman. They have no intent on maintaining "their vision" of what they think this city should be.

It is time for the people of this city to rise up and crush this group that is so full of itself


Raymond Kielsmeier

Kingman


BTW... the RAID all-stars were back at in front of city council last Monday. One prominent member said at the podium (fairly close quote following) "light industrial uses of land is not in the best interest of the city."

Now to be fair, I'm pulling this out of context on purpose. The nice lady that said those words was basically talking about a few acres of land included in a rezone request made by a developer.

I think she should have said that industrial uses are not in the best interest for the particular area, and that is something I could see myself agreeing with (not saying I would though). However to make a blanket statement like that about limiting land uses in a city that needs to see job growth (and as I understand it, light industrial uses has the potential to lead to more jobs... and that is a good thing last time I checked) sends the wrong message. So therefore, once again, I disagree... but respect the nice lady's opinion.

Edit:

Luckily for RAID, the Miner came to their rescue today.

No comments: