Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A few notes about the campaign...

Yesterday I did my first sit down interview for the local TV cable channel 77. I have satellite TV service so I won't be able to watch the show on the tube myself, but hopefully you will have a chance. Look for it in the next week or two. I will be attaining a copy of the interview and I will attempt to put it up on youtube and then link it here so you can all see the big dufus that I probably am (... yeah, I'm being a little self critical here).

The show is interview style and runs for a half-hour. We did two 12 minute segments, or thereabouts, and I was really surprised how fast each segment went along.

Also, last night another candidate forum was held by the CIVIC organization and the event was held at the high school auditorium. All of the candidates were up on a stage with an orchestra pit off the stage area. There was a safety net in that gap area. I realized the opportunity for embarrassment and noticed that one of my shoes became untied... but managed to avoid any pratfall during the forum.

It was great to see some new faces last night, but I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a better turn out when, after all, it was held in a large comfortable room and there was no $10 charge to get in the door.

Even though I was seated basically right behind the podium where all the candidates spoke from, into a microphone, I was not able to hear most of what the other candidates were speaking on (I gotta break down and get those hearing aids). At times it was difficult for me to gauge how the audience was reacting to what the other candidates were saying. I could see some audience members straining to hear some of the candidates.

After answering one question about the vision I have for Kingman in the year 2015, I was asked a follow up question about the estimated population of Kingman by then and I answered 50,000... and I really meant to say 150,000. Sometimes the mouth and the brain are coy with each other, it is not nearly as bad as it used to be though.

The questions were different and creative. I especially liked the one I just alluded to... how do we see the situation in Kingman eight or so years down the road. I think about the future all the time and I envision opportunity to grow and expand my own business in that time frame and I want nothing more than to do that right here in Kingman. Of course with only two minutes to answer, up on a stage, in front of a diversely interested audience... I found that I couldn't articulate everything I wanted to. That gives me an idea for a blog post though, one where I will expand on my vision. Stay tuned.

I know that a frequent commenter, Ken, had already posted some feedback on the post from yesterday... but I wouldn't mind seeing some more thoughts from anyone else that was there. How'd I do?? How did the other candidates do?? Who is making the most sense?? That kind of thing. So if you have a moment, please leave a comment or two.

The last bit of information about my campaign is that I filed my paperwork for my committee, which means I can raise campaign funds to help fund the campaign. If you are interested in perhaps making a donation, please email me at toddtarson@remax.net. I can accept up to $390 from an individual but would be honored to accept whatever you could contribute.

I'll be putting up campaign signs and running ads for my candidacy with that money. Maybe even a mailer or two. If you want to help me spread the word please consider making a contribution. We are all in this together to move Kingman forward.

No comments: