Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Event held last night...

I probably should have blogged about this yesterday to perhaps ask some of my supporters to attend the Mohave Republican Forum last night held at the Elk's. Luckily... many friends and well wishers showed up without any nudging. Here I'm thanking those people that did show up and support my efforts last night.

I'd also like to thank the Mohave Republican Forum for hosting the event last night. The Forum invited all of the candidates for Mayor and City Council. The turnout of attendees was incredible and it was a good sight to see... you can tell how important this election is going to be to many people in Kingman. All thirteen candidates spoke at the event (I keep saying event... it wasn't like a debate... not quite a town hall meeting... event works for me at this time). The mayoral candidates were allotted five minutes each to speak about themselves and their platform, while the council candidates were given three minutes for an introduction and then were asked a series of questions where one minute was allotted for answers.

With thirteen of us up there it felt like we were in for a long night, but once the questions rounds started things seemed to move along pretty good.

I would have attended this event even if I was not running for council. Given the fact that I am a candidate, I still used last nights event to get to know the other candidates and where they stand on important issues. In fact I still have to decide how I will cast my vote for two other council candidates (and mayor).

In my opening remarks I compared my past experience as a local leader at the local Realtor Association to some of the challenges a new city leader is going to face in the months and years ahead.

Our association was faced with budget shortfalls and other financial strains when I first joined the leadership team over five years ago. Luckily in a short period of time, the leaders helped bring us out of 'red' numbers and into the black. This is very similar to the challenge that awaits the new council this summer... how do we get the city's financial house back in order??

I also highlighted that our association lowered the overall annual cost of membership, not once, but twice while I was on the leadership team. If the city is going to lower the cost of whatever improvements that are coming down the line, I believe the city will have to put together a strong and precise annexation plan that incorporates more land and population to help ease the burden on citizens. I'd love to lower the cost to citizens of Kingman, not once, but twice (or more).

Featured also was the fact that the association improved services and member expectations as our little group quadrupled in size during those years and to me that parallels the expectations our citizens have of the city as it continues to grow. I know growing pains, but more importantly... I know growing 'gains'.

I talked a bit about being elected last year to serve on the executive committee at the state Realtor association and the challenges that await me and the other leaders this year. I emphasized that over 50,000 members are counting on the like of me to 1) hire a new CEO to replace our retiring CEO (while Kingman has to decide on a new city manager) and 2) manage our association in a declining real estate market (while Kingman is facing a declining local economy).

I wanted to paint a picture that my experience helps me to be capable to serve my fellow citizen with respect and honor.

My experience in leadership helped mold my being an open communicator and consensus builder. I've never attempted to be the smartest person in the room... but I have insisted that we all are the smartest people in the room when we are all together. I pushed for establishing committees at the local association so that more members were part of the decision making process and also to avoid a perceived dictatorship. Judging by last nights turnout, there will be plenty of citizens that will be involved in the process and changes that we will start seeing by the end of this year. Kingman will be directed by the good people that reside here, and I will insist on it.

Three minutes was not enough time to present what I had hoped to.

Overall, it was a great evening and I received very positive comments from many people who attended at the end of the event.

The media was in attendance and it will be interesting to see (and hear) how the event was covered.

I commend all of the other candidates for stepping up at this time to be part of the process.

Next week there will be a similar forum held by the CIVIC group. I'll have more details before that event and hope that you can attend.

No comments: