Monday, March 26, 2007

Over the weekend...

Just an update on a couple of things that happened over the weekend, but not really real estate related.

My sister Teri (you may have seen her comments here as she is a loyal reader) is in Las Vegas right now with plans on moving there from where she lives in Hawaii. She and her husband are interviewing for teaching positions, I think today in fact. Their plan is to live in Vegas sometime this summer.

On Saturday I was able to play a round of golf with Teri and one of my dearest friends, Eric Weiss. While Teri is planning on moving to Vegas, my good friend recently took a job which will move him to Austin Texas. He is going to be some big-wig manager at a large lending firm. It is funny, my family is moving closer to me from parts all over the country, while my friends from Vegas seem to be moving out of the area.

One thing you should know about my sister is that while I was 'good' at things like sports growing up, she excelled at those things. She made all state teams while I may have been lucky to merely make the team. She was the star player and I was the role player. Luckily she is six years younger than me so I didn't have to deal with these kinds of facts while in school. Well Saturday at the golf course this fact reared it's ugly head once again.

Eric, Teri, and I were to tee-off in the early afternoon at the Tuscany Golf Course in Vegas. The course added a fourth to our group and it just so happened to be a fellow Realtor that works in Las Vegas named Jeffrey Gahr (I'm having trouble with his website so I cannot link to it). He was a very nice guy to play golf with and he played very well.

Right away Teri was impressing the group with her shots. She tells me that she hasn't played in a long time, but every drive seemed to be long and straight. Sure she was a little rusty, but even my buddy Eric tells me that it is easy to see who the real athlete of the family is.

On the back nine, our fourth says that we need to play partners and he selects Teri as his partner. We play best ball (meaning that of the partners whoever has the best score wins the hole). I accept the pairing. I'm not going to lose to my sister right?? Wrong, Eric and I never win a hole from that point on. In fact Teri won a hole on her own when her partner hit a ball out of bounds early on the hole we were playing. I was sure that Eric and I would at least tie her, but no, we choked -- no make that -- she excelled in typical fashion.

It was a great day no matter how you slice it (and I sliced it on many of occasion).

Locally while I was having so called fun in the sun, my wife was having a garage sale at one of our rentals. When the last tenants moved out they left a garage full of items, including some really nice power tools. My wife Gail is very involved in this years local cancer walk to raise funds for the American Cancer Society. She decided that all proceeds from the sale of the former tenants items would go towards her efforts to raise money. She happened to collect $370. She didn't even place price tags on the stuff that sold, she merely told people that the money was going to charity and the people gave more than I think they normally would have if this was a normal garage sale.

She was moved by one of her customers. He was a young boy (I think she said around the age of 9), he offered her 20 cents on something and Gail said that would be great. He then asked her about the charity and she said that she was trying to raise money to help save people's lives. He then gave her the rest of his change that was in his pockets and said to her to add that to the effort. He even then went to his parents car and got more money and gave it to Gail. Gail was practically in tears when she was telling me this story. The people of Kingman were very generous and there were other stories similar to this.

My only regrets this weekend is that I don't have any photo's to share on either happening.

No comments: