Thursday, July 10, 2008

City P&Z not blowing 'hot air'...

Tuesday night the Kingman Planning and Zoning Commission made a recommendation to City Council to allow for wind-powered generators on all property sizes in the city. While this is only the first step in the process, it is more than favorable in my opinion.

Here is the article from the Miner on this one.

I'll add my two cents...

Windy debate heads to Council
Nicholas Wilbur, Miner Staff Reporter

Thursday, July 10, 2008

P&Z recommends no minimum lot sizes for turbines


Again, the action by the commission went further that I thought they would (happily).

How would you like to have a 30- to 60-foot high wind turbine in your backyard? Or, how would you like to see one in your neighbor's backyard?


In my backyard... I'd love it. In my neighbors... I'd be jealous if I didn't have one (and it would sure beat the leaves and the other things that blow off the trees and into my backyard). So count me in with the folks that would zero issues with 30 to 60 foot towers with electricity generating wind turbines affixed at the top.

The benefits of wind power aren't a secret, and nobody debated them at the hearing Tuesday - it saves water, lowers and sometimes even eliminates electricity bills and is more cost-effective than solar panels.

What's more, wind energy is going to become the norm as popularity makes the structures more affordable to the average citizen, and all seemed to agree that getting out ahead of the trend would work in the community's favor.


The next home that I buy (in Kingman) will have a wind turbine in the backyard (that is unless some new fangled contraption is developed by the time I think I'm ready to buy a different home). A home that comes with reduced utility bills will be worth more on the market than a home with more traditional utility bills (especially in the summer time when it is normally hot and the air conditioner becomes quite a cost to run in order just to be comfortable in your own home).

Several commissioners were hesitant about the move, but when Matt Ladendecker pointed out they had heard zero opposition, the commission voted unanimously to recommend that Council approve the policy at its upcoming meeting.

"I don't see a huge problem with having a half-acre lot on here instead of one, and again, if ascetics are not a concern for the general public, then I don't see a problem," he said.

Commissioner Mike Schoeff, although not personally in favor of seeing a turbine in his neighbor's backyard, seconded Ladendecker's view. "If aesthetics are not a concern, then let's not go to minimum lot size on it. If that's not anybody else's issue, then why restrict the size of the lots?" Supporters whooped and hollered and a round of applause broke out as he spoke.


Reading this brings a smile to my face.

According to Development Services Director Gary Jeppson's research, ordinances governing wind energy systems in Lake Havasu City and Bullhead City allow turbines only on one-acre-minimum lots.


Good opportunity to show leadership on this. The other communities may have the shopping and other revenue generating issues under control, but Kingman can at least show some important leadership on this issue. Success has to start somewhere.

Read the whole article.

No comments: