Saturday, December 15, 2007

What I like BEST about Kingman...

Was on full display this morning.

Quietly, a group of people have been working on a very special project for the upcoming holiday season. I was lucky enough to lend my hand this morning... and when I say that I was lucky enough... I mean that because this group's effort was so well organized, there wasn't much left to do because of all the help they were already getting.

This group has no acronym, in fact I wouldn't even categorize these fine folks as a community group... but they gave to the community in a big way today. The effort was simply called the Kingman Giving Day.

The effort itself is not unique, in many -- if not most -- communities there are organized efforts like this one. In fact, I bet there are other such efforts in our own community right now. You may even be a part of something like this (and if you are... God bless you and your family).

The Kingman Giving Day effort help support at least 76 families in the greater community today, to assist those families to provide Christmas presents and a hearty Christmas meal. Yes, this was an 'adopt a family' effort.

The group was looking for volunteers with larger vehicles to deliver the Christmas goods today and I was fortunate enough to lend a hand to make a couple of deliveries.

When I arrived at the pick up place... Martin Swanty's Dodge... the site was overwhelming. For weeks the very kind people that were involved in organizing were compiling wish lists of gifts for the children, purchasing those gifts (the actual gifts that were on the list), wrapping the presents, creating personalized stockings, stuffing those stockings and so on. There was a large room full of organized boxes that just was incredibly touching to see. I was absolutely floored by the level of effort that went into all of this.

Beyond that, in the parking area below was a couple of trucks filled. One truck was filled with artificial Christmas trees (there were real trees as well... if the adopted family wanted one) and the other truck had either turkey or ham plus the typical fixings that go along with such a hearty Christmas meal.

I was able to take a few photo's that I will share in a second... when I took the photos though... half of everything was already delivered.

This is the BEST thing about Kingman. The people. Especially the folks that put all of it together. I'm not a very emotional person, especially when it comes to the liquid stuff that drains from eye-socket area, but I had the good kind of chills on multiple occasions this morning after realizing what it took to pull this kind of effort off. There are no words to express here, all I can think of is WOW!!


Again, this is not even the half of it... there were more boxes to the left of this photo... AND more than half of what was there in the morning has already been delivered.



By this time the truck that had the trees was gone, but you can see the boxes of trees waiting to be delivered. The moving truck had the food donations and it may not look that impressive when I took this photo -- but it was stacked pretty high and deep in the morning.


I really hope the effort put a dent in the population of people that wouldn't normally be able to have as many things for the kids and a hearty meal on the table for the holiday. This was a huge effort in itself... but I'm confident others are doing this during this season as well... and hopefully as many people as possible will be having a wonderful holiday because of it.

Truly a heart warming experience... for me just to witness, let alone to have been fortunate to help make a couple of deliveries. Congratulations to those that helped out for the Kingman Giving Day!!

No comments: