Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Now for something completely different...

I'll admit it, I channel surf when I'm in front of the TV. This last week my darling wife was visiting the kids in New Mexico and left me behind. The remote was totally mine.

Honestly, the remote is mine most of the time but when the lovely wife is at home with me I usually will forfeit the remote to her. Why?? Because if I watched what I wanted all the time I'd never see her at home. Our TV viewing tastes are different, in my case I give up the remote because I know another sporting event will be on the next day... it has become no big deal. NFL football on Sunday's are the exception though and she does not even challenge me, but this is why I'm willing to yield the remote to her on nights when we are both home.

While my better half was gone I ran into a program on one of the movie channels. I just absolutely love this particular series of films. I even DVR'ed one about two months back that I'll check on when I can't find anything else on to waste my time. The films?? Warren Millers ski and snow board movies.

I lived in Sparks Nevada in my school years and into my early 20's before moving south to Las Vegas. During this time I did take full advantage of what was in my backyard, in every Truckee Meadows citizens backyard... Lake Tahoe in the winter. Specifically the endless slopes with plenty of the soft white frozen water on them. Now I was never a 'ski bum', nor could I be considered a great skier ever once in my life. Oh... but the freedom on those hills that one feels is not just for the extreme skier, the ski patrol, or the snow bunnies... it is there for everyone.

I didn't realize how much I missed that feeling until I started coming across these Warren Miller films on some movie channel.

Way back in the day I did attend original showings of these films when Warren Miller came to Reno as part of his tour. I can still hear the ooooo's and the ahhh's, the laughs, and the applause for those skiers featured in the show. Not only that, but the locations were always marvelous. When I watched these films I've felt as if I was on the mountain myself in far away locations. It is easy to get lost in the moment while taking in these movies. The locations are amazing, the skiers do things I'd never try, and the music helps tie it all together... as well as Mr. Millers narration.

Because of my renewed interest in his films, I started to do some searching on the Internet about Warren Miller. I've come to find out that he is no longer associated with the films since 2004. Apparently the rights to the films were sold, which he had every right to do. I have not come across the 2005 or 2006 show as of yet but it is my understanding that the new filmmakers still use Mr. Millers narration, but they take the narration from past films.

I also have found a website for the Warren Miller Company. On it he has set up a foundation that promotes entrepreneurship to young people. I don't like to opine about too many things outside of real estate related issues, but this foundation I support 100%. I've become an even bigger fan of Warren Miller since reading up on his site.

If you have the time, rent or buy his movies titled 'Journey' and 'Impact' as they are truly amazing works. If you watch 'Journey' pay particular attention towards the end of the man that jumps out of a helicopter... I've seen it some 100 times plus... and I'm still in awe.

Thank you Warren Miller for all of your films. You have become an inspiration to me and I hope your foundation inspires many younger people to follow in your footsteps in some form.

No comments: