Thursday, May 07, 2009

Property rights under attack (what else in new??)

I'll just say that I'm happy as can be that I don't live in California... but what is happening there could happen in a place like Kingman perhaps some day so I thought I'd pass this link along.

City Forces Property Owner to Give Up Right to Vote: Ninth Circuit Argument

by Timothy Sandefur

Tomorrow I will be arguing the case of Griswold v. City of Carlsbad in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in Pasadena, California. This is an astonishing case in which city officials forced the Griswold family to give up their constitutionally protected right to vote in exchange for a building permit. Hard as that might be to believe, it is actually not unique: it's actually quite common for local governments to abuse permits by forcing property owners to give up money or land or other rights.


Please read the whole thing.

No comments: