Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A taxing subject...

I am not an expert on taxes, nor do I play one on TV. The only thing I really know about taxes is that I think most are too high... for everyone. Easy position for me to take, lazy one as well.

Last year I had a posted this article about the Arizona Tax Revolt movement.

These folks are making the news again as they have two new initiatives they are seeking support on to make the state ballot for the November 2008 ballot.

Yesterday I was invited to the residence of a coordinator that volunteer's her time for the Arizona Tax Revolt. It was an afternoon meeting and the Chairman of the movement, Marc Goldstone, was there to answer questions and to gather more volunteers to help spread the petition sheets across the state.

Almost all the folks that attended the meeting yesterday were of the retirement age and once hailed from California (all very nice folks as well). All were concerned about the new property tax statements that all property owners in Mohave County will soon be seeing.

The proposed initiatives may just what the attendees are looking for to help stem the increase of taxes.

The Arizona Tax Revolt organization is looking for support from the Realtor community and Mr. Goldstone will be meeting with the state Association of Realtors later on and I've invited him to a future local Association Government Affairs Committee meeting.

Again, I'm not claiming to be an expert on taxes, it appears the initiatives are aligned with infamous 'Prop 13' in California. When I've been privy to discussions on 'Prop 13' in the past it has seemed there is little middle ground, folks either strongly supported it or hated it with a vengeance.

So do me this favor... I'm asking you to educate me on 'Prop 13' and the proposed initiatives brought forth by the Arizona Tax Revolt folks. I don't want higher taxes is my only position at the moment.

Will the efforts of the Arizona Tax Revolt organization be a good thing for Arizona or not?? Why??

No comments: