Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Two thumbs up..


I remember back in the day when I though how great it might be to be a movie critic for a living, to make it a career. These were also the days when I though about getting into journalism and radio. Sadly, or luckily (really depends these days on how I look at it) I never followed through with those early career thoughts.

Anyway, the movie critic thingy?? Well I'm not going to do that as there is plenty of movie reviews on the Internet that can be easily found, but I do want to share the following. On recommendation from Helena, my office neighbor next door and company property manager, I rented 'Thank You For Smoking'.

Wow, what a surprising movie. Surprising to the good. This may have been a timely movie because of my involvement in local politics on behalf of the Realtor Association, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it anyway.

To me the movie is a huge slap in the face to political correctness and that alone was worth the price of the rental. It was also about spin, as in political spin. About winning arguments without being right.

So much of my job as a Realtor is the very opposite of spin when dealing with my clients. I must deal in facts and I have no problem with this one bit. Being a fast talker is really the last thing you want to be when representing a client, you must deal in facts. Like when there is a hole in the roof... all it means is there is a hole in the roof... no spinning the facts to make that fact anything else. It is what it is. But compared to a Hollywood movie it can appear boring.

What appealed to me in this movie was the was the way the main character always... and I mean always appealed to whatever audience he had. He wasn't necessarily 'right' with what he had to say, he just wasn't wrong. The character really stuck it to many others along this film's journey.

If you get a chance, check this one out. It's also great for some intelligent laughs.

No comments: