Monday, May 22, 2006

Pity

While I was away in DC the local elections in Kingman for mayor and council took place. During the primaries only 3800 or so folks bothered to show up to vote (there are about 13,000 registered voters). I thought for sure that we'd see a dramatic increase in turnout for the general election. Didn't happen. Only 4200 folks managed to take the 15 minutes out of their day. Sad really.

My candidates did not win, but this isn't the problem. The apathy shown by the voters who bothered to register in the first place is the problem. I'll use the rest of my time as president of my local realtor association to promote voting. We simply cannot leave the future of this city in the hands of a small minority of people any longer.

Fellow residents of Kingman should be embarrassed about the turnout to vote. We are still a very small community and actually can make a difference with our voting power.

No comments: