Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Election day in Golden Valley...

Today the voters in Golden Valley will be deciding whether or not to incorporate as a city or not. I've been watching this one from a distance to this point but I am interested in seeing the outcome.

I'm not trying to blast Mohave County, but in unincorporated areas such as Golden Valley there aren't a lot of services for many residents that live out there. Road conditions are brutal, dirt roads become washboard, washes are full of loose sand make passing those areas difficult, that kind of thing. I know the county has paved some roads in recent years but in order to take the next step I think the residents probably need to set up their own government to meet the needs of the citizens.

Incorporating might also allow some new options for some developers in the general area. Developers could certainly help with the needed improvements if a win-win situation revealed itself between developers and the Golden Valley community.

I think the possibilities of annexation could ride on the outcome of today's election as well.

Here are some articles from the media that give more insight to what is happening in Golden Valley.

Who is eligible to vote

Incorporation group quietly confident

And this article about the new town of Dewey-Humbolt. A newly incorporated city near Prescott. Article gives good information on what is happening and the political issues it has raised.

Speaking of politics... I'm heading to the Arizona Association of Realtors -- Realtors Caucus where the US Secretary of Transportation, Mary Peters, will be speaking. I'll wrap that up when I get back, should be interesting.

No comments: