Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Must.... Hold.... Back....

There is an article in the Miner that appears today in regards to my comments made to City Council on Monday night. As soon as this article appears online, I'll share it. I was going to wait until it was online but I think I can pull this off anyway.

What I'm trying to hold back is a negative reaction I'm feeling to, as reported, a response to my comments. I'm particularly speaking of RAID's response to my comments as they appear in the article.

First let me say that I can't for the life of me think that I'm the one that is being responded to.

I did not ask RAID to pull their referendum at the meeting on Monday night. In fact I stated that I don't believe I have anything to bargain with them on to even ask them to pull their effort. I also added that I believe the city is also in no position to ask RAID to pull the referendum.

Here is what I am referring to...

RAID President Mike Bihuniak took the opportunity to respond to Tarson's comments. "Almost 1,200 people took the time to sign our petitions on this referendum, and there were over a dozen volunteers that came to RAID and asked if they could carry our petitions. For us to now tell those people... we are going to sit down and negotiate away their rights would be crazy. It would ruin our credibility, and it just doesn't justify the process."


Here was my line of thought.

1) Ask City Council to reverse their decision to effectively end the need for the referendum. I knew that it was a long shot to even get Council to think about reversing. I admitted that I didn't know if there was existing protocol that allowed for a reversal.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, this particular referendum only adds to the dysfunctional local political scene. Others from around the state and beyond are taking notice and there is negative connotations.

If I quizzed you right now on this I'd ask "Who did I ask to end the referendum and by what means??"

2) Ask the various community groups and leaders to collaborate on a possible solution for the hotly contested issues surrounding Interstate 40 possible traffic interchanges, management of the city owned land, and even suggestions for the state lands if there are no bidders once again later this month.

I'm convinced that all the community groups have some great ideas as to how to achieve the best solution to the issues we are facing. Doing so together gives us the chance to provide an easy decision for the city leaders and a clear path for city staff to follow. It is easier to cook a meal that you've never cooked before with a recipe to follow.

Now for example the Realtors Association can come up with solutions on their own to present to the city... but I have a strong suspicion that another community group would be against some of our ideas and we'd be right back where we are right now fighting amongst ourselves. This is not the time to be divided as a community, the issues that we face are very important. Enough so to leave out voices in this effort only makes the decisions for the city leaders that much more difficult.

All I asked was that we come together and collaborate. Clear our own varying differences and support something we all have input on.

The quiz question here is "Who did I exclude in an effort for real community collaboration efforts on the most important issues the city faces today??"

I believe that if you don't want to be part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

Update:

The article from the hard copy version that typically leaves black ink on your hands, was not included in the articles for the website so no link to share. No big deal... just make sure you get a copy of the hard copy version today and read for yourself.

No comments: