Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It is not a fun conversation...

I just got off the phone with a listing prospect and had to tell him that I could not, at this time, be his agent. This prospect has a lovely home; 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage with about 1200 plus square feet of living space.

This prospect is a very nice man and treated me well, still it is not a fun conversation to get into about meeting the price that the seller has in mind when the market says it won't sell for that price (what a terrible sentence).

To top it off, the nice gentleman bought his home only six months ago. His long term plans have changed and he wants to relocate in another part of the state. Of course he doesn't want to take a loss on his purchase. I informed him that I wouldn't be taking the listing at this time.

I am in this business to sell property and not to 'hang' out with my clients for the term of any contract I enter with them. I get this feeling that there is going to be many more prospective listing clients that I'll have to have this conversation with. I've had them before, I had this one this morning, and I can't imagine the ones in the future will be any better. Thankfully this time, like I said, this particular gentleman seemed very gracious and understanding.

No comments: