Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Last nights CIVIC meeting...

Just a few bits from the meeting last night. First it was held at the Kingman High School auditorium which can hold hundred's of people... but to my surprise only about 35 folks or so showed up.

Secondly, it was nice to see an avowed critic of CIVIC (a NON partisan, NON political group whose goal is to get more voter participation) show up to be in attendance and even contribute some questions on the content. The words 'Jim Rhodes' were never uttered once at the CIVIC meeting, but as I understand it today... those words were brought up after the meeting... and of course by the avowed critic.

The RAID president was invited to be a participant in last nights event but did not make the invited appearance. Other members did, however, show up and offered some views and questions of the speakers that did show up.

All in all it was an interesting evening. I'm not writing this to tell anyone how to vote on the bond issues. I have my own reservations about increasing my family's tax bill. However it is apparent that Kingman could use some capital funding for various improvements and to date I haven't heard of another way that funding could be made available for some or all of the improvements that make up city's request that the voters will vote on next month. Time isn't exactly standing still waiting on other solutions that have NOT come forward to consider.

And as always, I have always been a part of a worthy discussion with a few people after the meeting is over. I had the pleasure of bouncing some thoughts and ideas off a couple of young ladies as I headed toward the parking lot. I'd say that I probably have a different view point on some things than last nights counter part, but we had a nice level headed exchange and I can certainly respect whatever differences we may have (the differences really aren't all that far apart). Kingman is lucky to have some great young folks around right now who will no doubt have the ability to become great leaders some day, and some day is probably not all that far off.

No comments: